Making worship accessible
Accessibility, both physical and attitudinal, is very important to us at St. Barnabas.
Our building, constructed in 1954, did not have first floor meeting and restroom facilities. However, in 2009, we received $35,000 in grants to commence construction on a brand new addition to the back of the church building. This exciting phase in the life of the church began on September 20, 2009, at our groundbreaking ceremony.
On September 29, 2010, the new addition was dedicated. It includes a new graded sidewalk for easy entry, and a handicap-accessible bathroom on the ground level. We hope the new space will not only make it easy for our elderly and mobility-challenged parishioners to join us at worship and other gatherings, but also signal a new opportunity to reach out and include our community in a new way.
As the addition was completed, the church building facade was renovated, with contrasting brick laid to replace the vinyl siding and deteriorating wooden structure. During this phase, a window was cut into the front wall of the sanctuary, and the light has finally come pouring in! One of our current tasks: designing a stained glass window. We're hoping to have a new window installed by Easter 2012.
The congregation is grateful for the United Thank Offering and Diocesan Trustees grants that helped to make these projects possible, enabling us to open our doors and extend God's table to all who will answer his invitation. Come join us!